Portrait & History
Cross-country skiing tradition in the Engadin
The Engadin Skimarathon is one of the most important popular sports events in the country and a popular meeting place for the world elite.
The "Engadiner" is the largest cross-country skiing event in Switzerland and the second largest in the world. In addition, the Engadin Skimarathon is a member of Worldloppet, Swiss Loppet and Russialoppet.
Already seven years after the first edition in 1969, the number of participants exceeded the limit of tens of thousands for the first time in 1976. Today, around 14,000 participants from over 60 nations take part in the cross-country skiing experience in the Upper Engadine each year. At the 50th edition in 2018, the registration had to be closed after 14,200 participants for the first time in history.
Discover the detailed marathon history and other exciting reports:
The Engadin Women's Race opens the marathon week on the first Sunday in March. This leads the Youth Sprint from Wednesday afternoon on. An integral part is also the Engadin Night Race on Thursday evening. The highlight of the marathon week is the Marathon Sunday with the 42 km long Engadin Skimarathon and the 21 km long Engadin Half Marathon. The marathon week comes to an end with the traditional Marathon-Party in the finish area.
The Engadin Skimarathon is an association. Its members are the eleven Skiclubs Maloja, Sils, Corvatsch-Silvaplana, Suvretta-Champfèr, Alpina St. Moritz, Trais Fluors Celerina, Bernina-Pontresina, Piz Ot Samedan, La Punt, Zuoz and Sarsura Zernez. The Executive Board is responsible for the strategic decisions of the Engadin Skimarathon, while the Management is responsible for the operational activities. The organizing committee (OC) consists of around 90 members. During the Engadin Skimarathon, around 1,200 helpers are on duty.
Member of the board
Member of the board
Member of the board
Managing Director / CEO
- Tourism expert HF
- Executive MBA General Management FH
- CAS Event Management FH
- Tourism Coordinator Silvaplana 2007-2016
- OC President NOS Schwingfest
- OC President of the Engadin Country Fest
- OC Engadin Swimrun and Engadin Bike Giro
Certified Trust Expert
Management RBT AG
Head of Finance several clubs
Race organization / Race Control
- Sports & biology teacher with higher teaching qualification
- MBA Entrepreneurship & Service Management FH
- Certified Trainer Swiss Olympic
- Disciplinary Manager Cross Country Swiss Ski 2007-2009
- OC President World Cup Davos Nordic 2011-2015
- President Engadin Nordic base since 2016
- OC La Diagonela since 2013
- Co-commentator Cross Country SRF since 2009
Infrastructure / Village
- Apprenticeship as a carpenter
- Studied timber construction engineer FH in Biel with 1-year internship in Australia
- Since 2004 working for Edy Toscano AG in St. Moritz as project manager for timber construction
- Several years of experience in construction and project management
Race organization / route
- Physical education teacher
- OC President BOB World Cup 2007 and 2013
- Member of the parish council St. Moritz
- Assistance in various commissions and OK's
- Voluntari on various occasions in the region
The event budget is CHF 3 million. 47 percent of this is generated from sponsorship income and 46 percent from start-up funds. Various contributions cover the remaining seven percent.
The Engadin Skimarathon is the largest cross-country event in Switzerland and has been a fixture in the calendar of Swiss popular and top-class sports for many decades. Every year, some 14,000 participants and around half as many visitors, accompanying persons and volunteer helpers travel to the Engadine to take part in this unique sports event.
Due to its size, the Engadin Skimarathon triggers a range of economic and tourism effects in the region, which has been examined and summarized in a comprehensive value added study.